Sunday, September 14, 2008

Vettel takes Monza

Sebastian Vettel became the youngest ever winner of a Formula One race in Monza this afternoon.

The 21-year-old started behind the Safety Car in the pouring rain from pole position and drove a faultless race to take the victory.

Sebastien Bourdais had a very poor afternoon in comparison after his car failed to start and was left playing catch-up all afternoon, but still managed to finish 18th after starting a lap behind the rest of the field.

Sebastian Vettel (STR3-03)
Pos. 1st
�A fantastic race, a fantastic weekend with pole as well and a fantastic strategy this afternoon. As for the podium ceremony it was unbelievable and this is the best day of my life. I will never forget these feelings. It is so unbelievable. It is better than I had ever expected. A big thank you to everyone in the team for their great work. After a poor start to the season, we got better and better. Maybe in today�s conditions, we could close the gap with a bit more effort or by staying on the throttle a bit longer. I�m speechless. As for the race, we were very fast in a straight line because we didn�t go for high downforce as we thought it might be dry, so we stayed on the dry level. Being out in front with no visibility problems was the key and I could build up a solid gap to Heikki straightaway. Then I was pushing very hard, maybe going over the limit sometimes and I nearly lost the car. In the last stint I was in a very good position on the intermediate tyre. I couldn�t believe it when it kept saying �P1� on my board. But I kept my focus and kept pushing so as not to lose concentration. A perfect weekend.�


News and photos used with permission from Toro Rosso/Red Bull Racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment